Deadliest Catch Behind the Scenes with Jake and Josh Harris

August 3rd, 2011

Back in April, I met up with Jake and Josh Harris, two stars of the Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catch and shot portraits of the brothers for People Magazine. The article had a look at where they are now, one year after their father, Phil Harris, skipper of theĀ f/v Cornelia Marie‘s tragic death. It’s been 5 years since me the crew of the f/v Rollo were filmed for Deadliest Catch. Back then the show was popular, but now it’s a beast. Things have changed quite a lot in Dutch, and those who have starred on the show since the beginning have become huge celebrities. Who knew?

So, when I met Josh and Jake again after a few years time, I was pleasantly surprised that they were good guys. Genuinely humble and patient in spending a whole day with me in three locations around the greater Seattle area. Josh had just come back from a week at the playboy mansion and wore a watch worth six figures and drives a top of the line Mercedes, which was a bit ludicrous, but somehow he pulls it off with humility.

Here are some pics from the people mag spreads and some outtakes that didn’t make the very small cut:

Deadliest Catch, Cornelia Marie, Jake Harris, Josh Harris, photo: Corey Arnold

Jake and Josh Harris for People Magazine -- photo: Corey Arnold

Josh Harris and Jake Harris at home with his dog for People Magazine. photo: Corey Arnold

Jake and Josh Harris with dad's Corvette. Photo: Corey Arnold

Josh Harris in Seattle. Photo: Corey Arnold

Jake Harris at Home. Photo: Corey Arnold

Josh Harris at home. Photo: Corey Arnold

Josh Harris Bedroom. Photo: Corey Arnold

Josh Harris Bedroom Scene. photo: Corey Arnold

Jake Harris and gnome tree. photo: Corey Arnold

Phil Harris

Fisherman's Memorial in Seattle. Photo: Corey Arnold

Recent Comments

1. Joel says:

Thanks for that. Great pictures.

August 3rd, 2011

2. robin says:

amazing pictures <3 :)

August 4th, 2011

3. Sandra Westwood says:

WOW! Absolutely amazing story and photos! I began crying when I read about the strangers coming up in stores crying and hugging them. I can only imagine. I was devastated by his loss. I couldn’t stop watching DC over and over for months because I couldn’t believe it happened. I just last week, end of July 2011, was finally able to bring myself to delete the DVR events from last year. It is amazing how much you feel a part of your heart dies too when you see this. For only two hours each week (plus the hour for After the Catch), they come into our homes and become a part of our families. We see things we can only imagine or dream of, but it brings us closer than we could ever get. The admiration, adoration and respect for what these brave men and women do becomes a part of “our” lives, so to see one pass, at least for me, left a huge void. To know these boys suffered the loss of a parent, and virtually every moment was caught on film by Todd…..it just blows me away. I lost my mom at 21 and was a mess for 3 years. I can’t even imagine it being on film… and people reminding you, every where you go. But to those young men, I pray God allows them to see just how MUCH their father was adored!! Thanks for the wonderful article!!

Sandy Westwood – IT GEEK from IL/St. Louis metro

August 5th, 2011

4. Tess says:

I couldn’t have said it better, Sandra!

August 6th, 2011

5. David Akers says:

Have a great fishing season in 2011 &2012. Can’t wait for next season.

6. Lisa P. says:

Really sad to hear the Harris boys went back to smoking after trying the e-cigarette “for the show”. Sad they will end up just like their dad one day. Way to young to die. What a waste.

7. Lori says:

Not sure how I missed this article, but WOW it is amazing. Thanks for the pictures. I think Phil would be VERY proud of both of his boys. I continue to pray for them & wish then the best. Stay strong boys & take care of each other.

8. Teri says:

These young men have had their ups and downs, but it’s great to see them back on the right track. Phil would be proud of them. Even with all the ugliness they had to get through, their dad would definately be proud of them. they had to finish growing up and find their way…alone. That’s pretty tough. Their father was larger than life and I still like watching and learning the Wise Words of Phil (on YouTube). RIP Capt. Phil~~your boys are great!!!! One of my favorite sayings that Phil had was “This is why lion’s eat their young.” I LOVE THAT ONE!!!!!

9. Julie Erard says:

I am so proud of those boys. They’ve had a hard way to go since their dad passed. I’m proud of them for keeping the Cornelia going. Every time I start watching the show, I always see Captain Phil sitting in his chair. Proud of you Josh & Jake. You’re both good men!!

10. Debbie says:

I was wondering how come f/v Cornelia Marie isn’t listed under your “good people” category since f/v Time Bandit made it? Just a question about an observation is all. I love both boats along with the crew who makes each boat tick! Loved the pictures! Often have wondered why the boys haven’t sat down for a real interview about life now & how different it is trying 2 battle addiction when you’ve just lost one of THE MOST important people in their lives. XOXOX 2 the boys! & good job on pix!

11. Karen C. says:

We have all taken the show in to our hearts. It feels like family, especially when you’ve lost a member of your own. We’re all behind you and hope for the best. Good luck, hope you make your Dad proud!

12. Krissie says:

I loved the story. Josh and Jake can only go up from here. Phil would be proud and I’m sure he is smiling from heaven above.

13. Maryann says:

Jake is looking better. Are you still straight? Both y’all look fantastic , Love u guys , miss your dad.

14. Adell S. says:

My heart has gone out to and still does go out to Captain Phil’s family. Although I never got to meet Captain Phil in person, you can tell from the show that Jake and Josh were his world. He was hard on them from time to time because he loved them and wanted to leave them a legacy to be proud of. He did just that. Captain Phil made you feel like you were “part” of the Cornelia Marie family. When he passed, I cried like he was a true part of my family. I think the whole crabbing fleet did Phil justice in paying tribute to him. Although the ringing of the bell for him put me in tears again.
    To Jake and Josh: I know it is hard when you loose a parent. I lost my mom and sister (she had just turned 16) at the age of 11 years old. I went through all the usual questions of why?, why me? and why now?. It is hard because you don’t have anyone to say that it had to happen this way because….. . A drunk took my mom and sister from me. I didn’t get to spend much time with them because my dad had custody of me and they weren’t around for years at a time. Treasure the time and memories that you have of your dad. They will help through the tough times. There will be some for years to come but they get fewer and farther between as time goes on. Your dad IS with you boys. I feel it in my heart. That is just the way your dad would want it. If you look around you, you will see signs of him from time to time.
    Again, my heart and prayers are with you all as you continue to fish and live life to the fullest as your dad wanted it. You will succeed because you have a little bit of Phil in your blood.
    I am looking forward to seeing you all RUN the Cornelia Marie without another at the wheel.

15. Dory Reed says:

thank you for sharing this article. it is so nice to know how the harris boys are doing. their dad was amazing, plain and simple. i wish and pray for only great things for these two. God Bless you all!

16. Dena Geissel says:

Just wanted to point out, Cap’t Phil Harris did not pass away “aboard” the Cornelia, but regardless of where he did pass, he is missed greatly!!

17. Anne says:

Thanks 4 Sharing

18. Kathy says:

I love Deadliest Catch, and i think these boys are great, but if they were serious about buying the Cornelia Marie they would not have six figure watches and drive Mercedes.

19. Anonymous says:

Hey Jake, that gnome tree looks pretty dank!

20. loretta cleaves says:

you guys are as gooding as your dad was. i wish i was 40 years younger id be after the both of you. good luck this season ill be watching

21. nell says:

keep ur heads high n take care of the business thats what ur dad would love more then anything n prove the haters wrong getter done my family is pulling for u guy all wo

rk no play

22. Tracey Herisson says:

Jake and Josh, you both should be proud of what both of you have accomplished. I truly believe that your dad is watching over you and keeping you both safe with your adventures at sea. Enjoy life while you can, and I hope to see you both make captain. I look forward to seeing the next episode.

23. SSG Fred Campbell (ret) says:

If you look back at when Phil got sick, and how much Jake contributed to that factor, has Jake learned anything from the whole experience of “putting his old man in the ground” over his habits, and to see him now, still doing what the whole world knows he’s doing, yet denying the help his big brother, and the temp. Captain has offered, makes one wonder if he can ever see past the end of his own nose, and finally grow up!! When he does I predict the CM will be a force to be reckoned with. For God sake Jake, grow up!! I hold no sympathy for you, like so many others that are too afraid to say, if you need help, email me, I have experience in turning wayward boys around, and making men out of them, 18 yrs of US Army experience

24. ERIK NELSON says:

SEARCH AND FIND THE FART BUBBLES!!! I WATCHED YOUR DAD DO IT!!!

25. johnny hudson says:

I know what you guys are going through..My dad had a bad stroke,hes still living,but not the same..Me and my dad loved watching yall fish for crab..My dad is so much like your dad,thats why i loved your dad so much..I hope i get to meet you guys in person someday.Keep trying to quit smoking and trust in god to help you…Love you guys..

26. Elaine Doughty says:

These pictures were wonderful! Josh and Jake are two sons that a father would be proud of. Your father is watching over you with pride. Can’t wait for season 2012 to begin.

27. Kenny @ Cindy Lippold says:

You guys are really great. Tight lines.

Ken & Cindy Lippold
    Milwaukee, WI
    414-405-2957

28. ned ketchum says:

most fisherman like me never get the recognition.have more bad days than good and take a beating while at it.beats a desk job any time of the week tho

29. sk8ladyb says:

Your father is missed he will be every day. Let the drugs and alcohol go. All they do is cause grief and you have had enough of it all ready.
    In my thoughts and lighting sage for you both.

30. shawn pitcher says:

Will Freddy come back to work on the c/m this year?

31. TM69 says:

This article was nice and the pictures are great. I had tears in my eyes when i was reading the article, lol. Its fantastic to see their working things out.

32. RHONDA WEBSTER says:

O k Guys I too have lost the only parent I ever had !!! I know how it feels and what your going through …. Now Go out and MAKE YOUR DAD PROUD !!! I know you can do it and I will keep you in my prayers !!! Love you guys Rhonda

33. Lynn Robinson says:

Have a great fishing season and my prayers are with you always , fishing or not!

34. Alex Medina says:

You did an amazing job,the photos are fantastic. Even though i don’t personally know Jake and Josh they seem like the sweetest most genuin guys i’m glad you shared these photos with everyone.

35. Margaret says:

I love Phil! I miss him and know that his boys were his pride and joy. God Speed, Gentlemen, be safe and know we are with you.

36. Mel Baker says:

Love you guys – always have, always will.
    Thanks Corey for a great article and photos.
    Josh looks so much like Phil…
    Try to quit the smoking – I know it’s hard – I smoked for 20 years before I quit 3/23/06 – the day I had my massive stroke. And I’ll leave it at that.

f/v Cornelia Marie FTW!

37. Stephen schmidt says:

I think that was an awesome story i am sorry for their loss. They are good guys. Time to
    Move on would like to see them come out strong

38. Jacob says:

U guys kick ass! i hope all the best 4 u guys and give me a call if u need a a new green horn hit me up lol!!!!

39. Carla Moraglia says:

Love the photos and the article, The C.M. has and always will be my favorite boat. Jake and Josh are amazing to keep going after all that has happened and all it it being in the public eye. Captain Phil will always be missed and I am looking towards watching you guys Become the Captains and men your dad knew you could and can be, you could see the love in his eyes for his boys. Good luck to you both and try try to stop smoking ….

40. My "Nose" says:

I can understand the feelings of the stranger in the grocery store; good luck to you guys!

41. Laura Watkins says:

I lost my father after he suffered a massive stroke five years ago, so I felt every moment of grief for Jake and Josh. It’s hard to move on when you lose one of the best men in the world, especially if he’s your father.

Totally captivated by Corey Arnold’s portraits of the boys. Well done.

42. Thomas "Turtle" Bennett says:

At Kathy. How do you know they didn’t already have the 6 figure watches and Mercedes before there dad died..

To the photographer.. Great job.

To Josh & Jake, I know the show only shows a very tiny window into your lives. I could not begin to imagine what you have gone threw in the last 18 months. Jake good job getting clean.. Try like hell to keep it that way
    Josh. Remember to get some me time.. I cant imagine how hard that must be.. But its needed for everyone.
    Love the Show keep up the good work. As long as the Cornelia Marie, Time Bandit, Northwestern and the two new boats are on ill watch.. Thank you for a great show

43. Kathy Razinha says:

I know it’s been tough for both of the boys. My dad passed in 1983 just after his 51st birthday, leaving 6 boys and 2 girls devastated. We ranged in age at the time 15 to 28 and all felt the loss deeply. Even now there are times when it seems so fresh that I get overwhelmed but something that keeps me going and I wish for Josh and Jake:
    “You can not change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails to reach your destination.” Decide on your destination and go for it!!!

44. Louise says:

Great pictures, I’m glad Jake and Josh are doing well. I wish them luck next season. I’ll be watching.

45. laura mcguire says:

I lost my mom to cancer 3 months after capt. Phil passed away. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever gone through watching the strongest person I knew turn so fragile. Its haunted me ever since. I just wanted to say that he was a great guy. I didn’t even know him and he seemed to win my heart. Josh and jake take care of each other and be safe. Your dads watching over you. Love and prayers. Laura

46. Janet Ridenour says:

Enjoyed the article and photos. I truly hope the boys can can succeed in the fishing business, but more than that I pray each can find his way to a fulfilling, satisfiying life free of drugs, alcohol and tobacco. The crews of the boats featured on Deadliest Catch have become ‘family’ and the on-going lives of these boys matter to us. With the help and love from the other members of the DC captains and hands the boys can do well.

47. Helen Lancia says:

May God watch over you both as you step into your father’s shoes it isn’t an easy road,my husband has been bedridden for the last 10 years he had his own business for 22 years and then became chronicly ill with Lyme Disease ,my three adult daughters have had a hard road watching their father slowly loose his abilities to see walk ,and now talk ,he had to have a traque put in two weeks ago,he spends his time lying in bed ,he worked since he was 8 years old and was a third generation woodworker ,so I know how these boys must feel,thank God they are on the right trac,God Bless them both ,the photos are very inspiring:)

48. Kristine Olsen says:

Hey guys,im so happy to see your’s picture that’s good Josh and Jake look’s happy,in Discovery Channel we are miss Captain Phil Harris to see But we are so still see Deadliest catch ;) I’m from Greenland we are so lovet to see in Channel, sometimes i have been crying but later i am happy :) so i hope youre’s life keep runing, youres father love you very much i know that and see many time in television he is happy at he hade to beautiful to boys <3. We are self a one boy soon 10-years old in November We love him so much…
    So Josh and Jake have a good life love you guys… Love Kristine from Greenland.

49. Heather says:

To the guy who slammed Jake on here…….. What right do you have to try to make someones child that has now passed away feel at all responsible for his death? Honestly that makes me I’ll. I personally think he looks way healthier now but regardless it’s not our right to judge and he had nothing to do with his fathers death! Phil unfortunately was I’ll well before Jakes addiction came to light and probably shouldn’t have gone back to work.My husband fishes in Alaska too and I know how stressful it truly is. Don’t you think the stress of having your whole crews lives(including your only sons!) on the line is more stress than anyone should have to bear??? I’m sure with your army career you know that but prob didn’t have your only children in that situation either. Sorry for the rant but I lost my mom to cancer when she was only 50 and to make someone feel responsible for that is just sick, I can’t believe no one else commented on your post either. Why sit back and judge others, everyone has their trials and tribulations and personally I think it’s none of our damn business! Let the kid grieve for his father whom loved him to pieces and vice versa.

50. leslie moore says:

You guy’s are SMOKIN HOT and so is the show keep goin be safe

51. Sue Cooper says:

Great pictures! Thanks for shareing. I love the show and I have to admit Phil was my favorite captain. Hang in there boys. TheShip will be yours before you know it. Its like I know you all personally cause youre in my living room alot! I would love to meet you all in person someday. Untill that happens Ill just have to watch the catch. I pray for all the captains and crews every time they go out fishing. Thanks for all you do to put that delicious crab on the dinner tables of everyone. Since I started watching the Catch, I havent complained about the price of Crab meat! Lol. Thanks again for all that you do for us seafood lovers and take care and be safe! Lots of love to all the captains and crews. Tale care Jake and Josh. R. I. P. Captain Phill. You are missed my millions.

52. Christy Black says:

Just wanted to say hi to Jake n Josh. I loved watching your Daddy on DC..he was just so freaking awesome..his outlook on life and his advice to you guys and his sense of humor was the best ! I wish yall the very best of luck in anything and everything you do, I hope to see you year after year on DC and I know you’re gonna kick ass and take names out there…catch ALL the damn crab !! God Bless you both !….a friend in SC…Christy Black

53. Sharon Fowler says:

I am so proud of you both.Love you and can’t wait for the new season.

54. Raine says:

I grew to fall in love with your Dad and you boys. I watches as the 3 of you showed more love then any family I know. Phil loves you men. He’s still around. I’m a strong believer in the hereafter. And about the time you 2 don’t think Dad is watching, that is when you will turn on the radio and his favor song is playing. Or turn on the TV and his favor show is on. Or a book of his falls to the floor or his famous Dad scent lightly drifts into the room. It’s Phil reminding you 2 men if you don’t think he’s around think again. He’s loves you more then you 2 will ever understand. And he is very very proud of you. AS WE ALL ARE!!

55. Patti Dierna says:

I seem to remember Josh, that you left the boat & Father… once before. You did it, for your own Son.! It’s sad… to not hear about him… knowing of his existence. But, that’s T V , for you. There are so many ???. but, at the same time… it is a TV Program, about @ least 5 boats/ ships. And, it’s about the Job you do, Catching Crabs ! But, to Us / Me… it’s a lot more than THAT ! Who KNEW… WE would All be touched, by eachother !!! For a ” Non-Reality Show ” … it is somewhat… Very REAL. So, keep up the Good Work !!! To All of the Men, on All of the Boats… God Bless You ALL !!! Good Luck, to you all… And, Thanks… for Sharing Your Lives & Yourselves… I for one, will always feel Blessed… And, thanks… for Opening yourselves up to US !!! You have done… a GREAT SERVICE… to Mankind . Time will bear witness… to this……… XOXOXO … >:>)

56. boggz says:

be strong guys catch a lot of crabs and your dad will be very proud of you.

57. Amber says:

Major kudos to Heather!

SSG Fred Campbell- Jake used to be a drug addict, I’m sure he would be the first to admit that, however he spent 6 weeks in rehab and he looks better now than I have ever seen him. If he were still doing drugs I don’t think Josh would have said that Jake is back to normal. My husband was a drug addict before I ever met him and he checked himself into rehab and has been clean for 8 years. How would you feel if someone blamed your father’s death on you? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Jake and Josh- My heart and prayers are with you. My family and I love watching you guys on DC. I honestly don’t know how either of you kept your cool when Derek was captaining the CM. I would have knocked him flat on his ass when he started talking shit about your dad. Oh and my husband wants to come fish with you guys for a season. Be safe and know that your dad is watching down on you and keeping you both safe.

58. Heather says:

Thanks Amber! I’ve never commented on anything like this before but what Mr.cambell said was just soooooo wrong and well F’d up! Don’t know how people cam be so cruel! Hopefully who it was intended for will never see it he’s been through enough!

59. Bill says:

Josh is one of the coolest guys. I got to hang with him one night in Seattle the night before Catch Con and he’s one of the most down to earth guys. I hope nothing but the best for him and his brother. Cheers!

60. Lake Michigan Sailor says:

I’ve lost both of my parents over the last year and a half. Its hard, the finality of it all. I’m not too much of a man to admit I had tears in my eyes while watching the last few epiosdes with Phil. I think what made Phil so popular was that he was genuine, what you saw–was what you got. In this plastic, generic, over-stimulated, under-appreciated world we live in his type is getting hard to find as outward appearances seem to trump inward qualities. Usually I don’t offer advice to people I don’t know but if I had any for the Harris brothers it would be carry that part of your dad with you. Stay genuine, be real.

61. Martin C Morgenstein says:

allways remmeber WHERE YOU COME FROM!

62. Krissy says:

Best show ever. Tuesday nights aren’t the same without the show. God Bless The Boys!!!

63. Rick Barber says:

It was if we (The watching audience) lost their father also. I grieved for the loss of phill as if he had been a dear relitive. I know it was harder for the both of you though, plus having the cameras in your fce durring that time. I admire both of you. You are your fathers sons! Don’t try to be any more than that! He had big shoes but it doesn’t mean either one of you need fill them. Just be yourselves, we all love you the way we loved your Dad. Here’s hoping and praying that you have safe seasons and bountifull catches, each one bigger than the last! Thanks for keeping us comming back each episode….RWB

64. Katherine says:

These two young men had a lot to deal with the past couple of years. I was impressed with the way they handled everything. It’s tough growing up in two seconds. But they did. I hope they come back for the next season. The show would not be the same without the blue-and-gold. And personally, I had to admire the way the guys did not throw Derek overoard.

65. Robin says:

Josh & Jake,
    Your dad is watching over you! Life is about choices…your dad showed the world how tough it is to be a captain and fish for crab. Not an easy life, as we all witnessed. It was incredible watching him! I’m happy you have the videos of him on this show that will give you comfort for many years and generations. I encourage you to read the book, Heaven Is For Real, found at Target. The picture of Christ in the middle pages is amazing. I hope you find peace and comfort through this difficult time. Wishing you success!
    Robin P. MN)

66. Robin says:

Josh & Jake,
    Robin P. (MN)

67. AmyWamy says:

First and foremost, I cannot imagine how hard things are for you boys. We all adored your Dad and we only knew him a few hours a week for a handful of years. He was a wonderful man and I am sure he is already proud of you.

Secondly, what wonderful pictures! Such good looking guys. Rawr!

Third, and most importantly, for a soldier to be so disrespectful makes me sick. To accuse Jake of causing his Father’s death in any way is absolutely horrifying. Phil was unhealthy, it is simply a sad fact. It’s very nice that you are so perfect in your life that you can throw stones.

68. Steven J. Gomez says:

Hey Harris brothers, this is how your both going to quit smoking!!! Josh and Jake the both of you’s pick a date that you can agree on. (example: 8-28-2011) from that date forward no more cigarettes…This is not something you try! This is how smokers quit! My girlfriend and I haven’t had a cigarette for 5+yrs. Good luck to you both. late!

69. Marissa Everleigh Albaugh says:

I got the HONOR to meet both Harris brothers a couple months back, I can totally relate to Jake. I was also addicted to painkillers after being on them for a year. I quit shortly after the show aired with Jake going to rehab. I admire Jake so much for making the tuff decision to leave his father’s side to get himself together. I also lost my best friend a month before Phil passed, I can’t say that’s the same as losing a parent, but it is extremely painful. Stay strong Jake and Josh. I love you. Much love and respect from California.

70. Susan Spreng says:

Awesome pics of Josh and Jake. Thank you so much for sharing.

71. Pam Phree says:

I loved Phil Harris. I love his boys, Josh and Jake. I’ll probably never meet them unless I become a rich and famous author. I’m working on that. In the meantime, I’m hoping we, the public, can somehow help the boys buy the Cornelia Marie. 1.2 million isn’t that ‘out of reach’. If we all sent a dollar to the boys, how long would it take before we reached that goal?

August 9th, 2011

72. kelly says:

I was touched deep inside by the story! The pictures were awsome!! I truelly wish all the best to the guys on the cornelia marie! I want you guys to acheive all your goals and i enjoy watching you to see you do it! best of luck in all that you do!!!

August 9th, 2011

73. Jess says:

What a lovely article – it’s nice to see Jake and Josh are healing from the devastating loss of their father – I wouldn’t know what to do if I lost my mom – she is 53 and a smoker – I smoke too. I drive to my mom’s town to watch Deadliest Catch with her every week. We cried when they announced the passing of Phil – mom always loved watching him the most. To the boys – though I’m sure you’ll never read this, know that those of us who were watching at home wished they could have been there to comfort you. We are so happy to see you taking on the responsibilities of the Cornelia Marie and hope that you will become the full owners of that ship. Keep your chins up and make sure to take the time to heal. You’ll never “get over” the loss, but will become much more spiritually whole again in time. The pictures are lovely, the inside look at what really has gone on – thank you for sharing them with us (the public).Watching this past season has been amazing and be safe in the 2011/2012 season! Much love and admiration to you, your crew and everyone. Thank you to the columnist who wrote this article.

August 9th, 2011

74. Dennis Coulombe says:

Phil Harris was and is still the star of the show and the boys will be his legacy….good luck to both of you. If you need a place to hide find me, your more than welcome here. I live in Florida….nice place to thaw out.

August 9th, 2011

75. Sika says:

Thanks for sharing. Love from Norway

August 9th, 2011

76. kellykemp says:

josh and jake are the brightest new upcoming crab fisherman in the world keeep your heads up high and reach for the stars if you ever need any help out there fishing let me know im just an old florida boy tryin to change my life

August 9th, 2011

77. Julia says:

I met Josh, in a winery at which I work, just before he left to go King crab fishing last fall. What an amazing young man. He was so down to earth I was just incredibly impressed. Thank you for the update on them and the photos are wonderful..especially the one with the boys and their dad.

August 9th, 2011

78. Mary says:

Thanks for the amazing pictures and story. I still miss Phil and can only imagine how the boys feel. My prayers go out to them to stay strong. DC is one my favorite shows. I watched & re-watched the last episode with Phil…hoping it would change. Sadly, no, it did not. To Josh & Jake: continue to make your dad proud.

August 9th, 2011

79. Monica says:

May you find joy in every day, God in every thing you see and do and peace with every evening … if not fix it the next day and do it right. I think and pray about you boys and look forward to the next season never stop doing what you beleive and when things go wrong keep plugging along cuz one day it will be all right. God speed

August 9th, 2011

80. Linda Ford says:

I lost my husband last nov.We watch every show together.We have 2 sons and watching Phill passed away and knowing my husband dieing to was to much,I tape every show last yr.and just took it off my dvr.It was hard this yr not having russell and phill with us.Ours sons, all 4 of them are good men and dads would not have it no other way.We can look in our sons eyes and see there dad everyday,God Bless everybody

August 9th, 2011

81. J.G. Langley says:

I pray so much in hopes you boys do well for yourself and for your dad. I too as do millions of people all over the world miss your father.Cry like a baby, yes! Why??????????????? Can only say it made my heart hurt! Listen to Sig when possible, and john. I hope the show is never cancelled., also After the catch. This too would make my heart hurt! I look forward to the new season! Thank you Deadliest Catch for coming into my life!

August 9th, 2011

82. DUSTIN KNIGHT says:

I AGREE WITH AMBER AND HEATHER!!!! U BOTH COULDN’T OF SAID IT ANY BETTER ABOUT THE RETIRED ARMY GUY!!! HE HAS NO RIGHT BLAMING ANY OF WHAT HAPPENED TO CAPTAIN PHIL ON HIS SON, THERE WERE MORE PROBLEMS THAT PHIL HAD WAY BEFORE JAKE TOLD HIS DAD ABOUT HIS ADDICTION!!!!! U GIRLS TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!! AND JAKE AND JOSH, KEEP UR HEADS UP AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!! MUCH LOVE AND GOOD WORK!!!!!!!

August 10th, 2011

83. Michele says:

Love the article. Good luck to you both Josh and Jake in buying the boat, signing with Discovery and healing from the loss of your dad. It never goes away, a chunk of your heart is missing, but you learn to live again.

August 10th, 2011

84. Marie says:

Your dad will always be with you, be it out on the Bering Sea or home safe in your own beds. As long as your hearts beat, he will be with you.

August 10th, 2011

85. scarlett says:

Hey Jake and Josh….I am pulling for you guys so much..I loved your Dad…he was just great..and..I am sure he passed a ton of smarts along to you….I am also sure, that if you ever need anyone to go to to listen, that you have 3 crabbing Captians who are more than able to do that….Jonathan, Andy and Sig….VERY good guys….and..I am sure would never let you down…Hang tough…get ‘er done….and…thrive! Also…we DO need Freddie back on the CM!!! What a class act..

In the meantime…have fun…rest up…can’t wait to see the CM on the Bearing Sea again..

Scarlett

August 10th, 2011

86. henry says:

the stillheart beats in our soals, all who feel it are one. fair seas and still waters go with you my friends,

August 10th, 2011

87. Chrystasya says:

Jake, you are not responsible for your father’s death. He was. He freely admitted to living hard, working hard and partying hard. He even said he did every drug known to man. And he smoked like a chimney. I loved watching him on tv and the internet, but he lived the way he wanted and went with a grin and the screaming of tires when he arrived in heaven, hollering, “Wow, what a ride!” What better way to live and die!
    Josh, keep it up. You are doing fine. Fancy car and watch? So what! Enjoy yourself! You earned it! You have had alot of responsibilities thrown on you the past year or so and am coming out on top! So screw them! Have a laugh and just keep living!

August 12th, 2011

88. mysterygirl says:

My dad worked with Phil when they were 21years old when my dad found out that I was watching deadliest catch he said that’s Phil I told you know him he said yes and I told him that he past way in 2010 for two days he wouldn’t talk to me but I’m glad that josh and Jake are doing a great job trying to keep up the legacy alive

August 15th, 2011

89. sarina dilita says:

never harm yourslf for anothers death. i did and lost myself. there are more things out there worse. when i lost it i only had my brother. i believe you 2 will be as good as your father. p.s i like my toyota 4×4 better. off road is fun

August 16th, 2011

90. Bill says:

Boys take a lesson from your dad and be men about life. It is clear your dad spoiled both of you or you wouldn’t still be acting this way. The Captian you hired to run the CM never had a chance as you both treated him like you did your dad! You hired him to be Captian and showed him no respect. No one else seemed to have any problems with him until your trantrams, you were used to having with your dad, ruined any chance to make it work!

If either of you had been on the ball you wouldn’t have had to hire anyone to do the job you should have been doing yourselves. Yes he was right your dad did you an in justis by putting up with your foolishness. I wish I had One Thousandth of the chance you both had and I would would have spent more time learning than whinning. You were given to much and it shows. Total lack of respect!

August 22nd, 2011

91. Nkosaithi J. Logan says:

I know what it’s like to lose a best friend but not a Father.
    I can’t miss something I never had.
    Long live the Spirit of Capt.P & his Sons double J’s.
    Here is an idea make a mini scaled version of the Cornelia Marie put it in a bottle then toss it out in the Ocean.
    Working with my kids would be a dream come true.
    God Bless You’ll.

August 23rd, 2011

92. Jenna says:

Josh and Jake, Just want to let you know that we all miss your dad, and can’t wait til the new season starts. Our favorite show to watch. You two will make your dad proud. There is nothing like parents. Jenna

August 25th, 2011

93. dianna ryan says:

jake and josh my famliy and i loved watching your dad he was the one that got us watching the show and now we love watching u guys…that captin you got right after ur dad sucked i didnt like him he pissed me off so bad i would yell at him throw the tv..we were so glad to see ur new captin and u get along so good and he actly wants to see you guys become the great captins we know you guys will be just like your dad..cant wait for the new season
    dianna

August 26th, 2011

94. Mariew says:

Thanks for the update. I wondered how the boys were doing after the fishing trips without their Dad.

August 27th, 2011

95. BigSkee says:

Jake, ive struggled with addiction for 8 years off and on…its the hardest thing ever….i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy!!! Hang in there brother, and I miss watching you guys on Tuesday nights!.

August 31st, 2011

96. tontotheindian says:

Sig Hansen is an IDIOT!

September 5th, 2011

97. Reann says:

I myself want to be am alaskan crab fisherman when I turn 18. I look up to Jake and Josh for their stregnth and courage.

September 14th, 2011

98. jake harris slideshow | Tattoos Wiki says:

[...] = ''; } Change, The Inevitable. By Jake HarrisPhil Harris, F/V Cornelia Marie, and His CoffeeCorey's Fishing News body { background-image: [...]

October 4th, 2011

99. tonyb says:

Met Josh Harris at my friends wedding in Connecticut 2 weeks ago. Good time Josh!! What great time!!! All I have to say he is good people!! Good luck this season. soon to be captain josh harris..
    Read my story http://www.fightpkd.com

October 7th, 2011

100. Corey Arnold says:

Thanks for all the comments and support directed towards the Harris clan. I also just wanted to announce that my book of photographs from seven years of working as a deckhand aboard the f/v Rollo is now available. Read More on my blog here at http://www.coreyfishes.com/blog or buy the book at http://www.fish-work.com

Thanks,
    Corey Arnold

October 10th, 2011

101. BILLY says:

WHAT YA SAY!! THIS ARTICLE BROUGHT GREAT NEWS.I AM SURE YOUR DAD WOULD BE VERY,VERY PROUD OF YOU.SAY,JAKE YOU GAINED SOME WEIGHT,WAY TO GO. I WISH THE BEST FOR YOU IN ANYTHING YOU WANT TO SUCCEED IN DOING. JOSH, I GLAD YOU ARE DOING WELL.I KNOW ABOUT BREAKDOWNS,TAKE IT ONE MINUTE AT A TIME.HOPE THE TWO OF YOU HAVE A SUCCESSFUL YEAR,I WILL BE WATCHING.GODS BLESSINGS ALWAYS

February 3rd, 2012

102. Michelle Knows-Better says:

Josh/Jake….I have to tell you, your Dad was one hell of a man. I cried at his loss, can’t say I will do the same for my own “father.” You were blessed to have a real man and fathers love, I think you know that. Love the show and hope some day to watch you guys taking the CM out on the Bering Sea. Blessing to you both in all you do!

May 25th, 2012

103. pato says:

me gusto la historia de su padre

June 29th, 2012

104. pato says:

como sus vidas despues de la perdida de su padre, como continua la serie

June 29th, 2012

105. Sandra Hughes says:

No one recommends smoking,but you should
    Know that many people who never smoke
    or drink have strokes (including my own mother).
    Stress is a bigger factor in causing strokes
    Than smoking does. Think about Phil and when
    He had his stroke,it was right after he caught
    His son stealing his meds &learning that Jake
    Was an addict! He couldn’t handle that stress.
    That’s what caused the stroke, but too many
    People blame everything on smoking!

December 28th, 2012

106. Luv83864 says:

No one can judge them based on this tv show. It’s a great show but that’s exactly what it is a show on television. Television doesn’t air everything, it shows what is best for television. I love this show and feel privileged to be able to see Captain Phil Harris and meet Jake and Josh. However if you don’t know these guys, you shouldn’t be so sure to talk as if you know why anything happened. Part of rehabilitation is to admit your an addict and part of grieving is healing. It would take a lot more then $25k for the CM to get out for a season, more like 300k. Discovery could do it but its up to Jake and Josh to get licensed. I am praying and hoping to see them both do well. Phil was a dieing breed of men and I’m for all the men who are as he was, loving, tough, funny, happy and caring. We need more men like him.

January 5th, 2013

107. Cynthia Klenk says:

I know there dad is proud of them, no matter where the future takes them. I can not imagine the responsibility that has fallen on both of them. Josh has bought the boat and she went under a full overhaul – the costs involved to any boat are astronomical – to run a commercial fishing vessel?? I plan to buy Josh’s book this week – The CM being a commercial fishing vessel – b-o-a-t means not “Bring Out Another Thousand, as it does for most boat owners – but Bring Out Another Ten-Thousand! Fair Winds Home Safe and Following Seas, to the Harris Brothers….

January 5th, 2014